Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Another fabric interlude

I want to share a quilting project that I discovered going through boxes of fabrics that used to be my mom's.



I think this project was started by my grandmother, given the age of the fabrics. It is possible though that all of these hand-cut and hand-stitched blocks were done by my mom on the jumpseat of an airplane. I know that she would hand-piece on flights (she was a flight attendant), but I remember her showing me some of the stuff she had worked on and this does not look the same. I could be misremembering though what they are "supposed" to look like. So age of fabric and project is unknown, but I am guessing it is at least as old as I am (32).



I went through a whole pile of cut triangles and half-pieced blocks before I realized what the design was supposed to be.



I unearthed this finished block at the end of the pile and it made sense what all of the other pieces were for. I kid you not, I cried when I found this block. I don't know if it was the emotion of finding a project that belonged to my mom or grandmother, or the frustration of not knowing the puzzle left for me, a combination of the two, or something else, but seeing how all these pieces came together triggered something I just wasn't expecting.



I think I am going to take the three blocks that are closest to being done and make a table runner out of them. There isn't any more of the white background, but there is a lot of the red, whites, and blues, so I will most likely use those. I'm not feeling adventurous enough right now to seek out a replacement white and make the rest of the blocks. Who knows, though, maybe that will change by the time I get around to making the runner.



And on another note, after several weeks of quilting, I have picked my paper trimmer back up again and worked on some scrapbooking layouts. I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet, though, so I will just have to post them another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment