Saturday, February 20, 2010

Snowboard speak

Shaun White on his Double McTwist, the move he did in his final Olympic gold-medal-winning run:

“I didn’t come all the way out here to hold back anything and for me it would be a bit of a disappointment if I didn’t stomp that trick. And I remember looking at my coach and he wasn’t saying I’m lazy but he’s saying that I really don’t stomp things when I don’t need to and I really didn’t need to and he said, ‘Don’t do it unless I’m going to stick it’ and so I don’t know I put it down. It was amazing – I can’t even describe it.”

I don't know, Shaun, I think maybe you made a good landing?

to stomp - term used to describe making a good landing

stick (v.) - term used to describe making a good landing

put sth down - term used to describe making a good landing

Three words for making a good landing and still he feels like he can't describe it. Yet another reason why I love language!

If you're looking for more snowboarding terminology, see the Snowboarding dictionary. This article sums up the "blue hair" take on the new-fangled-lingo. (Make sure you read the comments as well - they offer some great language-and-identity data.)

No comments:

Post a Comment